Authentic British scones, perfect for afternoon tea, a snack or dessert.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes
350 g self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
90g soft margarine or unsalted butter
3 tbsp caster sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
175ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
extra self raising flour ~ 1/4 cup
1 egg, beaten
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and grease with some butter.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
3. To a large bowl add the flour, salt and baking powder, then mix together well with your hands
4. Add in the margarine and mix together with your hands until crumbly
5. Add in the sugar and nutmeg, then mix together well with a spoon
6. Pour the milk into a measuring cup, followed by the vanilla extract. Stir well
7. Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients then pour in the milk
8. Partially combine together using a spoon, then add in the sultanas
9. Continue to mix using your spoon, until a sticky dough forms
10. Sprinkle in some extra flour, then fold the dough using your hands
11. Pinch off small pieces of the dough and roll into a ball using your hands
12. Place onto the greased baking tray
13. Brush the tops of the scones with a beaten egg
14. Place the scones in the oven and bake for only 10 minutes or until golden brown
15. Remove from the oven. Serve whilst warm with some jam, clotted cream and tea.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.