Fried Plantain: Ghanaian Style
Ripe plantains seasoned with a delicious ginger and onion marinade, then fried until golden brown (garnished with red bell peppers)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 cups cooking oil
3 ripe plantains
2 inch piece fresh ginger
1/4 cup water
salt to taste
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1. Peel and chop the ripe plantains into small even pieces, then place in a mixing bowl
2. Add the onion, ginger and water to a food processor then blend until a fairly smooth paste is formed
3. Add the paste to the chopped plantains then mix together using a spoon
4. Add salt to taste, then mix again
5. Add the cooking oil to a small saucepan, then heat to high heat
6. Add a batch of the plantain to the oil, then fried until the plantain begins to brown (~5-7 minutes)
7. Turn over the plantain, then continue to fry until the plantain is evenly browned (5 minutes)
8. Using a slotted ladle, drain the oil from the plantain then transfer to a serving bowl.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 for the remaining batches of plantain
10. Once all the plantain has been fried, add in the red bell peppers then fry for 1 minute. Drain the oil, then transfer the peppers to the same bowl containing the plantain.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.