Jamaican Rice & Peas
Delicious popular Jamaican dish consisting of rice mixed with a delicious blend of red kidney beans, spring onions and spices.
* suitable for vegetarians and vegans*
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
2 cups long grain rice or basmati rice, washed
1 can red kidney beans
1 can coconut milk
~2 cups of water
2 spring onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1. Drain the red kidney beans using a strainer, collecting the liquid in a jug. Rinse the kidney beans in cold water
2. Pour the coconut milk to the jug of the collected kidney bean liquid
3. Top up the jug with water to make a total of 4 cups of liquid, then mix well with a spoon
4. Pour the liquid to a saucepan on high heat. Then add the red kidney beans, onions, garlic, salt and black pepper
5. Bring to a boil, the add the washed rice. Reduce the heat to low medium then put the lid on the saucepan
6. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until all the water has absorbed.
7. Remove from heat, cool at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Rice & Peas Goes
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.