Vegan Savoury Rice
Spicy tomato stew, steamed vegetables and rice, mixed into a colourful and healthy vegan savoury dish
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
2 onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 scotch bonnets, chopped (optional)
1-2 scotch bonnets, unchopped (optional)
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1/4 tsp tomato puree
2 plum tomatoes, blended
3 cups frozen vegetables
salt to taste
4-5cups basmati rice
1. Cook the basmati rice in a saucepan or in a rice cooker.
2. Cook the frozen vegetables in boiling hot water for 10 minutes or until cooked (add salt to taste)
3. Whilst the rice and vegetables are cooking, begin making the stew by adding 4 tbsp of cooking oil to a saucepan. Heat on high heat.
4. Add in the onions, garlic cloves and chopped scotch bonnets, then mix well. Cook until the onions start to brown
5. Add the tomato puree and plum tomatoes, followed by a circle of salt. Stir well
6. Reduce the temperature to medium heat when the stew first starts to boil
7. Cook for 10 minutes then add 4 tbsp of extra oil (this is to prevent the stew from drying). Optional: add the unchopped scotch bonnets for extra spice.
8. Cook the stew on medium heat for a further 15 minutes with occasionally stirring.
9. Add the red bell peppers then cook for a further 10-15 minutes, with occasional stirring.
10. Turn off the heat.
11. In a large bowl add one layer of rice, followed by a spoonful of stew (use a large serving spoon) and 2 tbsp of vegetables. Mix together well.
12. Repeat this 4 step process, until all the rice is used up.
13. Serving suggestion: serve the rice with the leftover stew.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.