Ghanaian Oxtail Peppered Soup
Experience authentic West African cuisine in your own kitchen with this delicious Ghanaian Oxtail Peppered Soup recipe. Slow cooked oxtail meat cooked in a full flavoured cocktail of tomatoes, scotch bonnets, fresh ginger, onions and garlic. Perfect for treating sore throats and colds.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
~1.3 kg oxtail meat
5 medium onions, peeled
1/4 onion, finely chopped
3 scotch bonnets
5 garlic cloves
3cm piece of stem ginger
1 can of plum tomatoes
1.5 tbsp tomato puree
3 cups of water
3.2 litres of boiling water
1. Wash the oxtail meat and place in a large saucepan
2. Add a circle of season all and salt to the meat, followed by 1 medium onion, 1/4 finely chopped onion and 1 scotch bonnet. Toss all the ingredients together in the saucepan.
3. Place on high heat with the lid fully on the saucepan for 15 minutes
4. To a blender add 4 medium onions, the garlic, ginger, 2 scotch bonnets and the plum tomatoes. Blend until smooth.
5. After 15 minutes, stir the meat in the saucepan and then add the blended mixture, followed by the tomato puree and 3 cups of water. Stir well and place the lid on the saucepan. Cook on high heat for 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes, stir the soup and cook for a further 25 minutes still with the lid fully on and on high heat.
7. After this time, add 3.2 litres of boiling water to the saucepan followed by half a circle of salt. Boil for 45 minutes with the lid fully on and on high heat
8. After this time taste of salt and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for a further 15 minutes with the lid half on.
9. Serving suggestion: serve the soup with steamed rice, fufu or by itself
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.