Delicious popular West African dish consisting of a tasty tomato based sauce cooked into steamed rice, mixed vegetables and curry powder.
* suitable for vegetarians & vegans*
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 scotch bonnets, 1 chopped (optional)
400 g plum tomato, blended
1 tsp tomato puree
5 cups of rice, basmati or long grain
1.2 L boiling water
1.5 tsp curry powder
salt to taste
2 cups frozen vegetables
1. Add the sunflower oil to a saucepan heated to medium heat. Add in the onions, garlic and scotch bonnet, then mix together well. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent.
2. Add the plum tomatoes and tomato puree, followed by one circle of salt. Mix the ingredients together then place the lid on the saucepan halfway. Stir the tomato sauce every 5 minutes for 15 minutes.
3. Wash the rice in a bowl, then drain the excess water. Add the rice to the saucepan on medium heat, followed by the boiling water.
4. Add in the curry powder, followed by 4 circles of salt. Mix all the ingredients together well, then place the lid fully on the saucepan. Cook for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes check the rice for hardness. Add extra water if rice is still too hard ( ~1/4 cup more).
5. Add in the vegetables and the scotch bonnet (optional), then mix the ingredients together. Place the lid fully on the saucepan then cook for an extra 10-15 minutes before serving.
Jollof Rice Goes
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.