Mac n Cheese with Breadcrumbs and A Bacon, Onion & Mushroom Filling
Delicious macaroni pasta mixed with fried bacon, onions and mushrooms, baked in a rich creamy cheese sauce.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 large onion, chopped
400 g mushrooms, chopped
345 g smoked bacon, chopped
1 kg macaroni pasta
salt to taste
1/4 tsp season
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4.5 cups whole milk
~200 g mixed grated cheese (90 g mozzarella, 45g cheddar, 32 g maasdam and 32 g samso)
2 tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp plain flour
salt or black pepper to taste (optional)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1. Add the macaroni pasta to a large saucepan. Add some boiling water, salt to taste and a little oil to stop the pasta from sticking.
2. Boil until the pasta is cooked. Drain, then place in a large oven dish.
3. Heat the vegetable oil on high heat in a frying pan, then cook the bacon until it browns slightly.
4. Add in the onions and mushrooms and the season all. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent
3. Add the cooked onions, bacon and mushrooms to the pasta (using a slotted spoon to ensure you drain off the excess oil), then mix the ingredients together.
4. Pour cheese sauce over the pasta (see link below for the perfect cheese sauce recipe), then mix together well
5. To a saucepan on medium heat add the butter. Melt the butter then add the breadcrumbs. Mix until the breadcrumbs turn golden brown, then sprinkle over the mac and cheese.
7. Place the dish in the oven at 150 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes or until browned
8. Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes at room temperature before serving.
Cheese Sauce Recipe
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.