Spiced Poached Pear
Fresh pears slowly simmered in an array of beautiful spices, drizzled with a sweet and thick homemade syrup.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2.5 hours
3-4 medium pears, peeled with stalk intact
1 litre warm water
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla pod
saffron, small packet
15 cardamon seeds, crushed
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
serve with chocolate or ice cream
1. Peel the pears (if you would like the pears to stand up on a plate after poaching, then make sure you also chop the base of the pear so that it becomes flat instead of round)
2. Add the pears to a saucepan followed by the water, sugar, cinnamon stick, vanilla pod and cardamon seeds.
3. Place on medium heat and stir gently until the sugar dissolves
4. Reduce the heat slightly after 30 minutes, then continue to heat the pears for a further hour.
5. Turn off the heat, then leave the pears to sit in the poaching liquid for 30 minutes before gently removing them.
5. Pour the warm liquid through a sieve to remove the spices then the liquid place back into the saucepan.
6. Add the lemon juice and honey to the liquid then begin to heat on high heat. Boil the liquid until it reduces to a thick syrup ( then might take ~15 minutes)
7. Pour the syrup over the poached pears, then serve with chocolate or ice-cream if you wish.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.