Spicy Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Delicious and tender minced lamb cooked in a tasty beef broth mixed with colourful spices and vegetables, baked under a layer of fluffy, creamy mashed sweet potatoes.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
2 tbsp vegetable oil
500 g minced lamb
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
handful baby carrots,
handful mixed vegetables,
handful freshly grated carrot,
1 tsp hot paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp season all
3-4 green chillies, chopped
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 beef stock cube, dissolved in 250 ml boiling water
2 tsp tomato puree
Mashed potato layer:
3 large sweet potatoes, chopped
1 medium white potato, chopped
salt to taste
1 tbsp butter
50 ml whole milk
1/2 tsp salt
Handful chilli flakes
1. Add the chopped potatoes to a saucepan. Cover with boiling hot water, then add a circle of salt. Boil until potatoes turn soft
2. In a frying pan on medium heat, add the vegetable oil.
3. Add in the onions, garlic, mushrooms, baby carrots and spices
4. Stir and cook until onions begin to brown
5. Add in the mince lamb. Stir continuously until the lamb browns
6. Add in the beef stock and tomato puree
7. Next add in the mixed vegetables and grated carrot
8. Cook on medium heat until beef stock reduces (~ 10 minutes)
9. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit)
10. Drain the potatoes and add the butter, milk. Mash well until smooth with no lumps.
11. Add in 1/2 tsp salt and chilli flakes. Stir in with a spoon.
12. In a medium baking dish, add in the cooked lamb. Create an even layer using a spoon.
13. Add the mashed potatoes over the lamb, then form an even layer using a knife.
14. Use a fork to create striped patterns across the mashed potatoes
15. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
16. Leave to stand for 5 minutes at room temperature before serving
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.