Ghanaian Okro Soup
Slow cooked neck of lamb and croaker fish cooked in a delicious palm oil and plum tomato based soup infused with finely chopped okra and spices.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
~ 2 kg neck of lamb
~1.6 L boiling water
salt to taste
season all to taste
~ 750 ml palm oil (Zomi Oil)
1 tbsp finely chopped onions
1 can of plum tomatoes
2 onions, roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
6 scotch bonnets
1 large croaker fish, descaled and chopped
1.4 kg fresh okro, finely chopped
~ 1.8 L of boiling water
70 g dried shrimp, blended
salt to taste
1.4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Rinse the okro with cold water, then chop off a small section from both ends of each okro
2. To finely chop the each okro, firstly make vertical cuts through the okro (both length ways and horizontally), then make thin cuts across the okra. Repeat this process for each piece of okro (watch the recipe video for further guidance)
3. Add the neck of lamb to a large saucepan. Pour boiling hot water over the meat until it's half covered (don't full cover the meat with water), then add half a circle of salt and a 1/4 circle of season all
4. Cover the saucepan fully using a lid, then steam the meat on high heat for 15 minutes, then remove the saucepan from the stove
5. In a food processor blend together the can of plum tomatoes, the 2 onions, ginger, garlic and 3 scotch bonnets
6. Melt a bottle of Zomi palm oil by placing it in a saucepan of warm water for around 5 minutes
7. To a large saucepan heated to high heat add the melted Zomi palm oil and the finely chopped onions
8. Heat until the boil begins to boil then add in the blended tomato mix you prepared in step 5
9. Wait until the mixture begins to boil again then reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering.
10. Simmer the mixture for 25 minutes with occasional stirring then add in the steamed meat using a slotted spoon to drain off the water (but don't throw away this water! Keep for step 12)
11. Make sure all the meat is cover with the oil. Turn the heat up slightly then cook for 15 minutes.
12. Then add in the water you used to steam the meat into the soup then top up the soup with ~ 1.8 L of boiling hot water.
13. Turn up the heat to high heat then add in 3 scotch bonnets that have been cut slightly to allow the heat for the peppers to penetrate the soup
14. After 5 minutes of boiling add in the blended shrimp
15. Add a little salt to taste then boiling for 10 minutes
16. Lightly season the croaker fish using some season all then add the fish into the soup then stir gently
17. After 10 minutes of cooking, check that the fish has cooked through.
18. Reduce the heat slightly then add in the bicarbonate of soda immediately followed by the chopped okro
19. Stir the soup together well then boil 10 minutes or until the okra has cooked.
20. Turn off the heat then move the saucepan to a cool hob.
21. Leave the soup to stand for least 1 hour before serving with banku or your desired side dish
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.