Christmas Roast Chicken
Roast whole chicken infused with under the skin garlic and herbs, complete with a homemade citrus stuffing.
Prep time: 30 minutes
cooking time: 1-2hrs
1.5-2.5 kg whole chicken
season all/salt & pepper to taste
2 handfuls of parsley, chopped
1 handful basil, chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp table salt
2 slices of salted butter
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 whole lemon
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
Gravy in dish:
1 medium onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves
2 carrots, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
Do you love chicken? Check out other chicken recipes
1. To make the roast chicken begin by adding the chopped parsley, basil and crushed garlic, 2 tsp of vegetable oil and the table salt to a bowl
2. Mix these ingredients well with your hands
3. Remove the packaging from the roast chicken (wash the elastic tie that was wrapped around the chicken then keep it for step 10)
4. Optional: Rinse the chicken with cold water
5.. Chop the tail off the chicken then pluck any long hairs from the chicken skin
6. Place the chicken in an oven dish then gently pull the skin away from the chicken breast
7. Stuff the herbs under the skin (using a small spatula to help you), followed by the 2 slices of butter
8. Boil the lemon for 10 minutes then leave to cool.
9. Using a knife puncture holes in the lemon then place it inside the chicken hole.
10. Add the rest of the stuffing ingredients inside the chicken hole.
11. Use the elastic tie, to tie together the drumsticks
12. Season the chicken using either season all or salt & pepper.
13. Add sliced onions to the dish
14. Pour over 2 tbsp of vegetable oil over the chicken
15 Place the chicken in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.
16. Turn over the chicken, then add in the chopped carrots and red peppers in the dish, then cook for a further 40 minutes or until the chicken has browned evenly (this depends on the size of the chicken)
17. When the chicken has cooked, leave the chicken to stand for 10 minutes, then partially cut the drumstick to aid removal of the lemon from the chicken hole.
18. Slice the chicken, then use the natural gravy formed in the oven dish as a delicious dressing for the chicken
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.