Strawberries & Cream Swiss Roll
Vanilla flavoured sponge roll with fresh whipped cream and strawberry jam filling.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: ~10 minutes
Set time: 3 hours
For the sponge cake:
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp buttermilk
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
For the filling:
6 oz soft cream cheese
1 4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
~1/4 cup strawberry jam
1/2 tsp icing sugar
100 g fresh strawberries
1. Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 inch swiss roll tin with butter, line with greaseproof (parchment) paper, then grease the paper with more butter.
2. Add the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl then mix together. Place the bowl to one side.
3. Crack the eggs in a seperate bowl, then add to a food mixer. Whisk eggs until they become pale yellow, then slowly add the caster sugar whilst whisking the eggs. Add the olive oil, buttermilk, cider vinegar and vanilla extract to the eggs.
4. Mix together for 2 minutes, then add in the flour mixture. Mix for 5 minutes, then pour the batter in the swiss roll tin. Tilt the tin so that the batter is evenly spread. Place in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 12-15 mintues or until sponge layer is cooked (stick a fork or skewer in the sponge, if it comes out clean then it is cooked).
5. Lay a clean tea towel on a flat surface, then dust generously with icing sugar. Immediately, invert the sponge layer onto the tea towel immediately after it has been taken out of the oven. Remove tin and the greaseproof (parchment) paper. Begin to roll the sponge layer, then wrap in the tea towel, with the seam of the roll side down. Place on a wire rack then leave to cool at room temperature for 2 hours.
6. Meanwhile begin making the cream filling by adding the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract to a food mixer. Mix for 5 minutes, then add the whipping cream, mix for 5 minutes. Store in fridge until you are ready to use it.
7. Gently, unroll the sponge layer on the tea towel. Evenly spread the stawberry jam, then spread the cream. Roll the sponge layer, with the seam of the roll side down. Scrape away any excess filling, then cut 1/2 inch from both ends of the roll for a clean finish.
8. Sprinkle the roll with the icing sugar, then decorate with fresh strawberries.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.