Vietnamese Caramel Chicken
Delicious spicy chicken wings baked and fried in a spicy, sweet and finger-licking caramel sauce.
Prep time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 1 hour
~2 kg chicken wings
3 tsp season all
2 tbsp cooking oil
For the marinade:
2 tbsp light brown sugar
4 tbsp fish sauce
5-6 chopped green chillies (optional)
For caramel sauce:
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 cup water
1 tbsp minced ginger
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsp rice vinegar
4 chopped green chillies (optional)
Do you love chicken? Check out other chicken recipes
1. To make the chicken marinade, mix the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves
2. Place the chicken wings in a baking dish, then add the season all followed by the chicken marinade. Mix together well with your hands. Drizzle 2 tbsp of cooking oil over the chicken, then place in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes
3. Remove the chicken from the oven. Immediately heat up 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a frying pan on high heat. Lightly brown the chicken wings on both sides, then place the chicken wings on a plate.
4. In the same frying pan on medium heat, add the ingredients for the caramel sauce (add the sugar and water first). Additionally add 2 tbsp of leftover fish sauce from the baking dish as well as the green chillies. Stir well using a wooden spoon until most of the sugar has dissolved.
5. Then add in the all chicken wings and 4 freshly chopped green chillies. Mix the ingredients well together, then cover the pan with foil or place a lid on the pan.
6. Reduce the heat and let the caramel chicken simmer for 10 minutes. Stir, then continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
7. Remove the foil/lid from the pan then turn up the heat to high. Cook the chicken until the caramel sauce has reduced to a thick, sticky sauce (~5-10 minutes)
8. Serve your caramel chicken wings with your favourite side dish. Remember to spoon some extra caramel sauce from the pan over the chicken when serving for that extra spicy sweetness.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.