Chilli Con Carne
Browned lean mince beef and red kidney beans cooked in a rich chilli tomato sauce, served with rice and fried plantain.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1 medium onion
1 medium red pepper
2 gloves of garlic
1 heaped tsp of hot chilli powder
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of ground cumin
500 g of lean mince beef
1 beef stock cube in 250 ml of boiling water
1 can (400 g) of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp of tomato puree
1/2 tsp of dried marjoram
1 tsp of sugar
1 can (400 g) of red kidney beans
1 tbsp vegetabe oil
salt to taste
3 cups rice
1. Rinse and dice the onion and red pepper, peel and rinse the garlic.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the onions, cook until they turn translucent then add the crushed garlic to the saucepan. Add the red pepper, chilli powder, paprika, ground cumin. Then leave to cook for 5 minutes with occasional stirring.
3. Turn up the heat, then add the mince beef. Break up the beef using a wooden spoon and continue to stir until all the beef has turned brown and is evenly cooked.
4. In a measuring cup add 250 mL of boiling water, then crumble a beef stock cube into the water. Stir until the beef stock cube has dissolved. Add the beef stock solution into the saucepan, then stir.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, dried marjoram, sugar into the saucepan, then stir. Followed by salt to taste
(half a circle) , then stir again.
6. Add the tomato puree, then stir. Leave to boil for 3 mintues with occasional stirring. Then turn down the heat so the sauce is gently boiling. Place the lid on the saucepan, then leave to boil gently for 20 mintues. (Check the sauce occasionlly to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan).
7. Drain the red kidney beans and rinse under cold running water. Add the beans to the saucepan, then stir. Add more salt to taste.
8. Gently boil the sauce for 10 minutes, without the lid on. Then remove the saucepan from the heat, then replace the lid on the saucepan. Leave to stand for 10 mintues.
9. Cook 3 cups of rice.
Like spicy food?
Why not try:
Spicy Spaghetti Bolognese
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.