Baked Ghanaian Jollof Rice
A delicious popular West African dish consisting of a tomato based stew baked into basmati rice, spices, mixed vegetables and corned beef.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
5 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 scotch bonnets, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp tomato puree
1 can (400g) plum tomatoes, blended
1/2 tsp curry powder
5 cups of basmati rice
0.9 L boiling hot water
Salt to taste
1-2 whole scotch bonnets (optional)
1 cup frozen vegetables
8 tbsp corned beef
1. Add the vegetable oil to a saucepan heated to high heat. Add in the onions, garlic and chopped scotch bonnets, then mix together well. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent.
2. Add the tomato puree and plum tomatoes, followed by one circle of salt. Mix the ingredients together. Reduce to low-medium heat then place a lid on the saucepan, so that it's covered only halfway. Stir the tomato stew every 5 minutes for 15-20 minutes.
3. Place the basmati rice in an empty mixing bowl and rinse with cold water
4. Add the rice to the saucepan, followed by the boiling water.
5. Add in the curry powder, followed by 4 circles of salt. Mix all the ingredients together well, then place the lid fully on the saucepan.
6. Place the saucepan in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Bake for 25 minutes.
7. Take the saucepan out of the oven, then add extra water if the rice is still too hard ( ~1/4 cup more) and add more salt if necessary
8. Next add in the mixed vegetables, corned beef and whole scotch bonnets. Mix the ingredients together well. Place the lid fully on the saucepan then bake for an extra 15-20 minutes.
9. Remove the saucepan from the oven then leave to stand on the stove for 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.