Honey Grilled Spicy Chicken Kebabs
Tender chicken fillets marinaded in a colourful honey glazed spice mix and grilled with seasoned vegetables on skewers
Prep time: 1 hour
marinate time: min 1 hour
Total cooking time: ~1 hour 30 minutes
650 g chicken fillets,
1.5 tsp of season all
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp hot chilli powder
1/4 tsp brown sugar
1/4 dried thyme
14 dried oregano
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup water
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 scotch bonnet (optional)
3 red peppers
3 tbsp olive oil
Wooden or metal skewers
1. Cut the chicken fillets into about 1.5 inch wide slices (if some slices are very long, then you can cut them in half )
2. Count the total number of chicken fillets you have so you know how many skewers you will need
3. Place the chicken fillets in a bowl, then add the season all, paprika, hot chilli powder, brown sugar, thyme and oregano. Mix all the ingredients together with your hands
4. In a blender add the water, a roughly chopped onion, the cloves of garlic and a scotch bonnet. Blend together until you form a paste
5. Pour the blended mix over the chicken, then add the honey.
6. Mix the ingredients together well with a large spoon, then leave the chicken to marinate for at least an hour (Note: over night marinating will improve the flavour of your kebabs :) )
7. About 30 minutes before you are ready to start building up your kebabs, soak your wooden skewers in a tray of water for 30 minutes (this step is very important as this prevents your wooden skewers from catching fire in the oven. However you can skip this step if you are using metal skewers)
8. Whilst your wooden skewers are soaking, chop the bell peppers and onions into ~ 1 inch sized square pieces.
9. After 30 minutes, grab one skewer, then thread an onion, a bell pepper, another onion, followed by a chicken strip. Then thread an onion, a bell pepper and another onion. Repeat this process for all of your chicken strips.
10. Evenly layout a batch of your chicken kebabs on tray covered with aluminium foil. Make sure the size of your tray ensures your skewers stick out from the tray edge
11. Using an applicator brush, brush some of the remaining chicken marinade over the chicken and the vegetables, then lightly brush the kebabs with some olive oil on both sides
12. Pre heat the oven grill to medium-high
13. Grill the chicken in the oven for ~15 minutes, then turn over the chicken kebabs and rotate the tray 180 degrees before placing the tray back into the oven. Grill the chicken for another 15 minutes or until the chicken kebabs have cooked evenly and all the way through.
14. Repeat steps 10-13 for the rest of your chicken kebabs
This recipe goes great with....
Do you love chicken? Check out other chicken recipes
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.