Spicy Italian Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Baked beef meatballs made from beef mince, bread crumbs, parsley and more cooked in a rich, spicy tomato stew with chopped tomatoes and fresh herbs.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
500 g mince beef
1 medium onion, blended
bread crumbs (from 2 white bread slices)
15g fresh parsley, finely chopped
3-4 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1tsp garlic salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
3-5 green chillies, chopped
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1. To make the meatballs start by adding the mince beef, onion, bread crumbs parsley, green chillies, oregano, garlic salt and egg to a large mixing bowl
2. Mix all the ingredients together with your hands, then roll them into golf sized balls
3. Place the meatballs on a baking tray lined with foil (lightly grease the foil beforehand)
4. Drizzle the meatballs with olive oil then bake in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes
5. Remove the meatballs from the oven.
6. Start making the tomato sauce by adding the olive oil to a saucepan on medium heat
7. Add in the onion, garlic and green chillies. Cook until the onions turn translucent then add in the chopped tomatoes
8. Stir well then add in the salt, paprika and ground black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes then add in the meatballs.
9. Mix together gently and slowly to avoid breaking up the meatballs. Cook for 25 minutes with the lid half on, with occasional stirring
10. If necessary add more salt to taste before serving with pasta or rice.
Like spicy food?
Why not try:
Spicy Spaghetti Bolognese
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.