Malaysian Beef and Potato Curry
Slow cooked tender braising steak and soft potato chunks marinaded in a coconut milk based curry. This dish is best served with rice.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours (high); 8 hours (low)
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1.5 tsp crushed, dried red chillies
2 stalks of lemon grass, finely chopped
700g braising steak, chopped
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
2 large potatoes, chopped
1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp light brown sugar
salt to taste
2 tbsp groundnut oil
*Slow Cooker Recipe*
Like Slow Cooker Recipes?
Why Not Try:
1. In a bowl add the ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon, tumeric, cloves, cardamom, hot chilli powder and crushed dried red chillies. Then add the finely chopped lemon grass to the bowl. Mix all the ingredients together.
2. Wash the chopped braising steak, then add the mixed spices and lemon grass to the steak. Mix the ingredients together.
3. Heat the groundnut oil in a saucepan on high heat, then add the onions. Cook with occasional stirring for 3 minutes, then add in the steak. Cook the steak until it turns brown on all sides.
4. Add the crushed garlic cloves and grated ginger to the saucepan, then mix all the ingredients together. Cook for 30 seconds, then take off the heat.
5. In a slow cooker crock pot add the chopped potatoes, followed by the cooked steak mixture.
6. On high heat add the coconut milk to the same saucepan used to cook the steak, followed by the soy sauce and light brown sugar. Mix together, then add salt to taste. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes, then add it to the crock pot. Mix all the ingredients together. Place the lid on the crock pot, then put it in the electric base.
7. Heat on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.