Jamaican Oxtail Stew
Tender oxtail slow cooked in a spicy flavoured stew with butter beans and carrots.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 6 hours (high); 10 hours (low)
700 g Oxtail
Season all/salt and pepper, to taste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp ginger, chopped
1 scotch bonnet, chopped (optional)
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups water
1 can (400 g) butter beans
1 carrot, chopped
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
*Slow Cooker Recipe*
1. Wash the oxtail meat in a bowl, then season with season all or salt and pepper to taste, then mix together with your hands.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet, thyme, black pepper and soy sauce to the oxtail then mix all the ingredients together with your hands.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan to high heat then add in the oxtail. Brown for 5 mintues, then add in the onions. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then turn off the heat.
4. Add the cooked oxtail to the slow cooker crock pot, then use a spoon to form an even layer.
5. Add 2 cups of water to the saucepan then use a spoon to scrape any remaining ingredients into the water. Pour the water into the crock pot, then place the lid on the crock pot, then fit the pot into the slow cooker basin. Heat on high for 6 hours or on low for 10 hours.
6. After 3 hours on high or 5 hours on low, add the chopped carrots to the crock pot, stir then place the lid back on.
7. After 5 hours on high or 9 hours on low, boil the butter beans in hot water for 15 mintues. Drain then add to the crock pot. Next dissolve the cornstarch in 1 tbsp of water, then add to the crock pot, mix well then place the lid back on.
8. Cook the stew for a further 1-1.5 hours before serving with cooked rice.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.
Like Slow Cooker Recipes?
Why not try:
Malaysian Beef and