Browned lean mince beef cooked in a rich tomato sauce with colourful mixed vegetables, served with spaghetti. Spicy and non spicy recipe below
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
200 g bacon, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 scotch bonnet, chopped (optional for spicy recipe)
500 g lean mince beef
1 3/4 cans of plum tomatoes, blended
1 heaped tsp tomato puree
salt to taste
1 red pepper, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
400 g mushrooms, chopped
300 g spaghetti
50 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1. Heat the vegetable oil on high heat in a saucepan, then add the chopped bacon. Cook the bacon until slightly brown (~ 5 minutes).
2. Add in the onions and garlic, then mix the ingredients together. Add in the scotch bonnet (optional for spicy recipe). Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add in the mince beef, then continue to mix until all the beef has turned brown. Add the blended tomatoes and tomato puree, then mix the ingredients together. Add salt to taste, then cook for 25 minutes on medium heat with occasional stirring.
4. Add in the red pepper, carrot and the frozen mixed vegetables, then mix the ingredients together. Cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add in the mushrooms, then mix the ingredients together. Cook for 10 minutes or until mushrooms have become soft.
6. Whilst the mushrooms are cooking, add spaghetti to boiling hot water, then add salt to taste. Boil for 10-15 mintues.
7. Optional: serve spaghetti bolognese with grated cheese.
Have you made this recipe? Comment and rate below.